Friday, December 26, 2008

A good and sweet man…

That is what my husband is! The Holidays come right in the middle of hunting season. When you live with a real deer hunter, that’s what the Holidays mean for them… time off to hunt!

I realize a lot of people don’t understand that, especially women that are not married to hunters. I’ve always had to field questions about how I put up with it, or hear comments about how others wouldn’t stand for it, etc. But I’ve just got to tell you, my husband has never missed a minute of “important” time! He has always made it to family gatherings. He was always here to make sure Santa arrived on time when our kids were small. He doesn’t miss any of those moments, or times, or days, etc.

I guess if you just look at the surface and see him coming home from the hunting club late Tuesday before our family Christmas here on Wednesday, and then hear him say “I didn’t have time to shop” when I don’t have a gift from him under the tree, it doesn’t paint a very good picture. Especially when you see him leaving out again early Thursday afternoon. But here’s the thing you don’t see ‘on the surface’…

There is hardly ever a time I ask for anything that I don’t get it. My sweet husband spoils me, terribly, all year! And he works very long hours all year with almost no time off other than one week in the summer, which is spent on a trip dedicated totally to me and what I want! So this time during the winter is the only time he has all year to do what he really loves – hunt!

And as far as a Christmas gift – this year is not really his fault anyway. I asked for a digital camera and instead of an inexpensive one he is going to replace my 35mm with one like it in dig. YAY! But that means making sure we find the right deal, etc. I was told at Wolf Camera which one to get that my big lens would fit on, but I’m still going to take all my current equipment in to make sure first. So it is not as simple as going somewhere and buying a camera.

But that hasn’t stopped him from feeling bad (as always); so between the time we opened gifts on Wednesday and he left yesterday, I ended up with a pocket full of cash, lol. I’ve been told to go buy some jeans, asked if I wanted new boots, informed I needed work clothes. So you see… he is a very sweet man who deserves to take the time off during the winter and enjoy doing the thing he loves so much! Things are not always just as they seem ‘on the surface’ :)


1 comment:

Sue said...

WE are very blessed to have two wonderful husbands. It's ok if no one else sees it---as long as WE do!