Sunday, November 2, 2008

My love for animals…

Especially dogs, is pretty much known by anybody that knows me. I get it honest; I can never remember a time in my life that I did not have pets – both dogs and cats – growing up. But that came from my dad, definitely not my mom. The only animal she ever loved was my sweet dog Sugar… and I swear she loved her as much as any of us kids, lol.

But let me clarify, my dad loved dogs – he tolerated cats! My husband, although I’ve tried, has never been as tolerant. He also loves dogs, but in 31 years of marriage has tolerated only two cats, and not very graciously I might add :) However, in all those 31 years, never have we been without at least one dog in our lives – other than those “transition” times of course. And inevitably the dog(s) becomes a part of our family, not just a dog. Our current additional family members are a “huge” change from sweet little 4 lb Sugar :)

Of course this love has also been my down fall many times! People play on that when they know of an animal that needs a home – do you know how hard it is for me to say no people?? Why torture me?? I actually don’t want my husband to divorce me now, we’ve come so far… and I’m sure one more dog in this house would mean one less human!!

Anyway, last night was our annual Gala – and one of the items in the live auction was a Cocker Spaniel puppy, with a bonus underground fencing system. The puppy was actually in attendance and so adorable, you could tell she already lives the life of a princess! By the end of the night I was in love with her myself!! And of course, she was one of the hottest items in the bidding war, going for just under $4,000. She didn’t get to go to her new home last night, the one who brought her first of all wanted to check out the person who won the bid (which I totally agreed with); and secondly wanted to take her home to assure she got a proper nights rest after such a long and stressful evening out.

I am extremely excited about the money raised for Children’s Hospital, and about that precious puppy receiving a great new home!! I am extremely saddened to then watch the news this morning and see the sweet dogs from T.E.A.R.S. on there that have lived a life of sadness, neglect, and often times abuse. Ironically, they could have a good home for a small adoption fee. If I could, I’d go get them and bring them all home with me :(

I realize how random this is, but it has just been bugging me all day!


No comments: